Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yo, Yo, Yogurt!


Bandsters know that yogurt can be one of your best friends. It is high in protein and can be very low in fat, plus it’s soft, which is very important right after surgery or after a fill. I have a new favorite variety. I had been eating a lot of the Greek style non-fat strained yogurt. However, the last few times I’ve been shopping at WF, I have picked up ‘Siggi’s’ brand Icelandic style skyr. It seems to be the same concept as the Greek style – very thick, no fat, lots of protein.  However, Siggi’s has much better flavor, in my opinion. So far, I have tried the orange and ginger, blueberry, and pomegranate and passion fruit. The Pom and Passion fruit is too tart for me. If you like your yogurt to make your lips pucker, this is for you. The first time I tried it was in my office at work, and my assistant actually poked her head in and asked if I was ok after I took the first bite. Apparently, the ‘daaammmmnnnn’ that I let out upon eating was a little more audible than I had expected.  The blueberry is quite yummy. My favorite by far, though, is the orange and ginger. The flavor is bold, without being overpowering. There are chunks of ginger – so be carful with this one right after surgery. You will want to strain this one, or stick to something without chunks, like the pom and passion fruit.  Unless you like the pain of something getting stuck. If so, eat away! This stuff isn’t cheap, running at about $2.29 for a 6 ounce cup. However, I think it is worth the price since I actually eat it, rather than letting it go bad in the fridge. Plus, it is hormone free, and made from milk from grass fed cows. There is no aspartame, sucralose, gelatin, artificial colorings, preservatives, or high fructose corn syrup. The ingredients are:

Pasteurized skim milk
Agave nectar
Candied ginger
Orange extract
Live active cultures
Vegetable Rennet

And for those interested, the Live Cultures are:

B. Lactis
L. Acidophilus
L. Delbtueckii Subsp. Bulgaricus
L Delbrueckii Subsp. Lactis
S. Thermophilus

The average serving has 120 calories, 12 carbs, and 16 grams of protein.

If you like yogurt, or are having trouble finding yogurt you like, I highly recommend trying Siggi’s, it well worth the effort and price.

No comments:

Post a Comment